The San Diego Institute for Bioenergetic Analysis (SDIBA) was founded in 1977, our name changed to Southern California Institute for Bioenergetic Analysis (SCIBA) in 2009. Since 1977 we have helped people achieve healing and emotional wellness through active mind/body psychotherapy. The Southern California Institute for Bioenergetic Analysis is a non-profit organization affiliated with the International Institute for Bioenergetic Analysis. The Institute is part of the International Institute for Bioenergetic Analysis (IIBA) which was created by Dr. Alexander Lowen, based on the work of Dr. Wilhelm Reich. There are 28 countries with societies and institutes practicing the work of Bioenergetic Analysis.
• Provides a theoretical and clinical training program for psychotherapists.
• Offers ongoing supervision, consultation, and advanced workshops for therapists who have completed the training program.
• Provides referrals to Bioenergetic therapists who have completed the training program and are members of SCIBA.
• Provides regular Advanced Workshops which feature Bioenergetic Analysis, as well as related health care themes for which CEU’s can be earned. These workshops are open to other therapists and the public.
Our mission is:
• To provide a professional institute and training program for qualified clinicians who are committed to Bioenergetic Analysis as a form of psychotherapy.
• To promote the theoretical study and professional practice of Bioenergetic Analysis in the Southern CA region.
• To ensure the establishment and practice of professional standards.
• To reduce the suffering of individuals and promote more pleasure and joy.
The International Institute
Bioenergetics is a way of understanding personality in terms of the body and its energetic processes. Bioenergetic Analysis is a form of therapy that combines work with the body and the mind to help people resolve their emotional problems and realize more of their potential for pleasure and joy in living. The International Institute for Bioenergetic Analysis (IIBA) is a membership organization with the responsibility of certifying Bioenergetic Analysis practitioners, providing continuing education for the profession, and advancing the Art and Science of Bioenergetic Analysis.
Dr. Alexander Lowen
12/23/1910 – 10/28/2008
Lowen was a student of Wilhelm Reich in the 1940s and early 1950s. In the in early 1950s, in New York, he developed Bioenergetic Analysis, a revolutionary form of mind-body psychotherapy, with his then-colleague, John Pierrakos. Lowen was the founder and former executive director of the International Institute for Bioenergetic Analysis.
Born in New York City, Lowen received a bachelor’s degree in science and business from City College of New York and an LLB from Brooklyn Law School. His interest in the link between the mind and the body developed during this time. He enrolled in a class on character analysis with Wilhelm Reich. After training to be a therapist himself, Lowen moved to Switzerland to attend the University of Geneva, which awarded him an M.D. in June, 1951.
In April 2007, The Alexander Lowen Foundation was founded to continue Dr. Lowen’s legacy.
Active Membership is limited to Bioenergetic therapists and Bioenergetic trainees. Associate Membership is open to anyone in the general public who is interested in supporting the work of the institute. www.bioenergetic-therapy.com.